Last spaces on Doubilet workshop available
Three of the “big guns” in underwater imaging, David Doubilet, Jen Hayes and Hal Silverman have two spaces left on their workshop at Sunset House on Grand Cayman from 16 to 23 May. Each day of the event will feature lectures, diving/shooting, post-production and an evening presentation of the day’s work.
Late availability: Wetpixel Oceanic Whitetips 2015
We have a few spaces available for the Wetpixel Oceanic Sharks trip. Reports from our operators on Cat Island, Epic Diving, are saying that there are numerous oceanic whitetips (Carcharhinus longimanus) around and interacting with their groups at the moment. It looks ike it will definitely be an amazing trip. It runs from 12 to 18 April and if you are interested, please email Adam for more details or to book.
Video: Moray and reef fish hunt together
Wild Oceans returns to South Africa in this week’s episode. Shot at Sodwana Bay, Kwazulu Natal, it features a co operative hunt between a moray eel and some interesting footage of a frogfish “hopping” around underwater. It also features the standard adrenaline filled boat launch off Jesser Point!
Wetpixel/Scubacam party @ ADEX 2015
Wetpixel is joining forces with Scubacam again to present the underwater imaging community with their annual ADEX gathering. If you shoot pictures or video underwater and plan to be at ADEX, you really need to come along! It is going to be held at the Highlander Bar & Restaurant on Clarke Quay on Friday 10 April from 7pm till late.
Subal announces housing for Sony a7
Subal has announced details of their forthcoming housing for all versions of the Sony a7 mirrorless full-frame camera. It features access to all camera controls, and is compatible with the company’s Type 2 ports. It ships with either electronic or fiber optic strobe triggering bulkheads.
Call for entries: Durban Undersea Club Shootout 2015
Raja Ampat Regency changes fees
The Government of the Raja Ampat Regency has changed both the fee for entry into the area and the way that the resulting monies are distributed. The fee is now valid for 12 months (previously a calendar year) and has doubled to IDR500.000 ($38) for domestic users and IDR1000.000 (around $76) for international visitors.
Review: Nikon FX wide-angle lenses
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon presents a review of most of the available rectilinear wide-angle lens choices for Nikon full-frame camera. The aim is to evaluate individual lens’s performance underwater, but also for this to be a reference for those seeking information about lens choices. As other test lenses come available, the tests will be added to, so please keep checking back for updates
- Sentencing of shark catcher welcomed (via African Diver)
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Now Open (via DivePhotoGuide)
- New York Underwater Photography Society Meeting: Adding Divers… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video of the Week: “Life of a Wave Photographer” (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rumors: Post CP+ Show Speculation for Nikon and Canon DSLRs (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video: Photographing Antarctic’s Leopard Seal (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Mobile Photography Awards Feature Stunning Pics (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Canon Announces Firmware Update for EOS 1D-C (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces December Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- In Photos: The Hammerhead (via DivePhotoGuide)